Make your own free website on Tripod.com
Early Aquaculture Experiments

About | Cacti | Succulents | Flowers | Growing | Seeds | Graft | Hydroponics | Problems | Books | Links
  Main > Aquaculture / Hydroponics > Early Aquaculture ExperimentsSite Map

Early Aquaculture Experiments

After a spell of those dreadful attempts at growing cacti in a glass of water, I wised up and got myself an aquaculture kit for small-scale vegetable growing.

At left is my first serious attempt at aquaculture, around early 1998. The box was situated at the side of the house, sheltered from rain.

In the picture are 2 Opuntias, 3 Echinopsis, 2 Myrtillocactus and 1 Huernia. When this picture was taken in mid-1998, you can see that the Opuntias have been benefitting from aquaculture for some time.

This is an Opuntia inarmata, popular in nurseries, as it is very easy to grow. Using aquaculture, I am able to grow one really big mass of shoots.

The problem with this type of offsetting plant is that the large number of shoots will become a liability when bugs gain a foothold on the plant. It's difficult to get at nooks and crannies with a brush, so eventually I moved away from this type of plant.

These two Myrtillocactus geometrizans were grown from seed. I have many such plants, since I have tried so many packets of mixed cactus seeds.

Still, I'd never had any this big. My other Myrtillocactus specimens were stuck in quick drying plastic pots and never got around growing to this size.

Aquaculture is a sure way to grow yourself big plants. I ended up buying small plants and fattening them in aquaculture. As you willl see later, things turned out pretty well.

The plant on the left is one of those indestructible Echinopsis. The one on the right is probably a Melocactus.

The succulent plant is a Huernia verekeri specimen which has since bloomed a number of times. The plant on the right is probably a Melocactus.

At left is a grafted specimen of Rebutia albiflora. The stock plant is Myrtillocactus geometrizans, but it is not visible since it is short. This happen to be the most healthy Rebutia I ever had. The plant on the right is a seedling from Horti mixed cactus seeds, probably a Mammillaria.

The plant at left is a Gymnocalycium seedling grown from seeds from my 1997 batch of Succseed seeds. The one on the right is a Myrtillocactus geometrizans cutting.

For more on my early efforts, see Page 2 on the subject.


About | Cacti | Succulents | Flowers | Growing | Seeds | Graft | Hydroponics | Problems | Books | Links
  Last modified: 2002-08-26  Copyright © 1997-2002.  Kein-Hong Man.  all rights reserved